- STATE OVERVIEW
New Mexico is 32nd this year
It was 34th in 2010
- 30 Outcomes Rank
- 35 Determinants Rank
- 32 Overall Rank
- 22 Diabetes Rank
- 30 Smoking Rank
- 16 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- Low levels of air pollution
- Low prevalence of binge drinking
- Low rate of cardiovascular and cancer deaths
- High percentage of children in poverty
- High rate of uninsured population
- Limited access to early prenatal care
- In the past five years, diabetes increased from 7.3 percent to 8.5 percent of adults. There are now 173,000 adults with diabetes in the state.
- In the past five years, the violent crime rate declined from 646 to 589 offenses per 100,000 population.
- In the past ten years, obesity increased from 19.3 percent to 25.6 percent of adults; there are now 521,000 obese adults in the state.
- In the past ten years, smoking decreased from 23.6 percent to 18.5 percent of adults. However, 376,000 adults still smoke.
- In the past year, the rate of preventable hospitalizations decreased from 58.6 to 56.3 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- In New Mexico, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic American Indians at 37.0 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 20.8 percent and Hispanics at 30.7 percent. Diabetes also varies by race and ethnicity in the state; 12.9 percent of non-Hispanic blacks have diabetes compared to 10.2 percent of Hispanics, 9.7 percent of non-Hispanic American Indians and 6.6 percent of non-Hispanic whites.
State Health Department Web Site: www.health.state.nm.us
|Physical Activity||13||78.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||49||64.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||46||71.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||36||67.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||29||23.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||10||26.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||30||4.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||19||4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||4||34.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||33||8.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||39||12.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||43||33368||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||11||6.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||22||8.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||27||15.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||34||0.464||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||37||46558||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||42||18.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.