- STATE OVERVIEW
Nevada is 38th this year
It was 39th in 2011
- 32 Outcomes Rank
- 39 Determinants Rank
- 38 Overall Rank
- 37 Diabetes Rank
- 34 Smoking Rank
- 7 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- Low prevalence of obesity
- Low incidence of infectious disease
- Low per capita public health funding
- Low high school graduation rate
- High rate of uninsured population
- High violent crime rate
- In the past five years, the rate of preventable hospitalization decreased from 65.3 to 58.1 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- In the past ten years, the rate of uninsured population increased from 15.9 percent to 22.0 percent of the population.
- In the past year, the incidence of infectious disease increased from 4.8 to 6.0 cases per 100,000 population.
- In the past year, the percentage of children in poverty decreased from 23.6 percent to 20.6 percent of persons under age 18. Children in poverty was 8.7 percent in 2002.
- Nevada’s obesity rate is lower than most other states. However, more than 500,000 adults are obese in the state.
- Ten years ago, the infant mortality rate was 6.5 deaths per 1,000 live births; today it is 5.6.
- In Nevada, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 30.4 percent than Hispanics at 23.4 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: http://dhhs.nv.gov/
|Cholesterol Check||39||71.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||36||67.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Physical Activity||17||75.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||35||38.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Obesity||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Smoking||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||24||4.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||18||37.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||38||5.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||24||30.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||45||13.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||30||38173||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||50||13.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||50||22.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||21||0.4526||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||41||20.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.