- STATE OVERVIEW
New York is 18th this year
It was 20th in 2011
- 14 Outcomes Rank
- 19 Determinants Rank
- 18 Overall Rank
- 40 Diabetes Rank
- 8 Smoking Rank
- 7 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- High per capita public health funding
- Low prevalence of obesity
- Low prevalence of smoking
- Ready availability of primary care physicians
- Low high school graduation rate
- High prevalence of diabetes
- In the past five years, air pollution decreased from 11.8 to 9.2 micrograms of fine particulate per cubic meter.
- In the past ten years, the rate of uninsured population decreased from 15.5 percent to 13.6 percent.
- New York has one of the lowest obesity rates in the U.S. at 24.5% of the adult population; however, more than 3.7 million adults are obese in the state.
- Although high school graduation rates remain a challenge for the state, the percentage of incoming ninth graders who graduate in four years increased, in the past 5 years, from 60.9 percent to 73.5 percent.
- Five years ago, the geographic disparity within the state was 7.5; this year it is 9.8 indicating that health now varies more widely among counties within the state.
- In New York, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 32.2 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 23.8 percent; and obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 32.2 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 23.8 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: www.health.state.ny.us
|Cholesterol Check||10||79.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||18||72.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Physical Activity||28||73.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||9||22.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Obesity||13||11||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Smoking||4||12.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||24||4.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||31||38.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||9||3.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||22||30.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||22||11.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||5||50545||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||25||8.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||22||14.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||50||0.5033||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||25||16.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.