- STATE OVERVIEW
New York is 20th this year
It was 24th in 2010
- 9 Outcomes Rank
- 21 Determinants Rank
- 20 Overall Rank
- 29 Diabetes Rank
- 14 Smoking Rank
- 9 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- Low rates of cancer deaths
- Lower prevalence of obesity than other states
- Ready availability of primary care physicians
- High percentage of children in poverty
- Low high school graduation rate
- Low immunization coverage
- In the past five years, smoking decreased from 20.5 percent to 15.5 percent of adults. However, 3.0 million adults still smoke.
- In the past five years, the violent crime rate declined from 444 to 392 offenses per 100,000 population.
- In the past ten years, diabetes increased from 6.3 percent to 8.9 percent of adults. There are now over 1.7 million adults with diabetes in the state.
- In the past ten years, obesity increased from 17.7 percent to 24.5 percent of adults; now, 4.8 million adults are obese in New York.
- In the past year, the rate of preventable hospitalizations decreased from 73.0 to 69.0 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- In New York, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 31.4 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 24.1 percent and Hispanics at 27.2 percent. Diabetes also varies by race and ethnicity in the state; 12.8 percent of non-Hispanic blacks have diabetes compared to 7.9 percent of non-Hispanic whites and 8.2 percent of Hispanics.
State Health Department Web Site: www.health.state.ny.us
|Physical Activity||24||76.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||6||25.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||8||81.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||18||72.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||8||26.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||23||28.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||15||3.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||29||4.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||39||38.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||25||8.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||22||11.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||5||48450||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||22||8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||25||8.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||21||14.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||50||0.499||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||24||51351||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||23||14.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.