- STATE OVERVIEW
Ohio is 35th this year
It was 36th in 2011
- 37 Outcomes Rank
- 36 Determinants Rank
- 35 Overall Rank
- 30 Diabetes Rank
- 43 Smoking Rank
- 38 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- High immunization coverage
- Low geographic disparity within the state
- Low occupational fatalities rate
- High levels of air pollution
- High prevalence of smoking
- High rate of preventable hospitalizations
- In the past five years, air pollution decreased from 13.9 to 12.0 micrograms of fine particulate per cubic meter.
- In the past five years, the rate of preventable hospitalizations decreased from 88.0 to 78.5 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees; however, it still remains high compared to other states.
- In the past ten years, the rate of uninsured population increased from 10.7 percent to 13.7 percent. Last year it was 13.7 percent.
- Last year, the per capita public health funding was $45 per person; this year it is $51 per person.
- Smoking remains high at 25.1 percent of the adult population, with more than 2.2 million adult smokers.
- In Ohio, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 42.5 percent than Hispanics at 33.1 percent and non-Hispanic whites at 28.7 percent; and sedentary lifestyle is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 35.0 percent than Hispanics at 27.6 percent and non-Hispanic whites at 25.3 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: www.odh.ohio.gov
|Cholesterol Check||22||75.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||22||71.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Physical Activity||36||73||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||28||34.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Obesity||33||14.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Smoking||36||21.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||41||5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||33||38.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||35||5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||35||32.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||34||12.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||33||37791||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||30||8.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||25||14.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||24||0.4594||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||32||18||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.