- STATE OVERVIEW
Ohio is 36th this year
It was 33rd in 2010
- 37 Outcomes Rank
- 36 Determinants Rank
- 36 Overall Rank
- 39 Diabetes Rank
- 45 Smoking Rank
- 35 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- High immunization coverage
- Low occupational fatalities rate
- Moderate rate of high school graduation
- Low per capita public health funding
- High levels of air pollution
- High prevalence of smoking
- In the past five years, diabetes increased from 7.7 percent to 10.1 percent of adults. There are now 1.2 million adults with diabetes in Ohio.
- In the past five years, the rate of uninsured population increased from 11.0 percent to 13.7 percent.
- In the past ten years, obesity increased from 21.5 percent to 29.7 percent of adults, with 3.4 million adults in the state who are now obese.
- In the past year, smoking increased from 20.3 percent to 22.5 percent of the adult population, with 2.6 million adults who still smoke.
- In the past year, the percentage of children in poverty increased from 18.7 percent to 22.9 percent of persons under age 18.
- In Ohio, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 40.8 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 28.7 percent and Hispanics at 32.5 percent. Diabetes also varies by race and ethnicity in the state; 15.3 percent of non-Hispanic blacks have diabetes compared to 12.6 percent of Hispanics and 9.4 percent of non-Hispanic whites.
State Health Department Web Site: www.odh.ohio.gov
|Physical Activity||37||73.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||26||41||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||22||77.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||22||71.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||35||21||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||41||31.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||27||4.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||27||4.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||41||39.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||37||8.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||31||11.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||33||36180||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||32||9.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||37||10.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||34||16.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||25||0.452||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||34||47333||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||32||16.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.