- STATE OVERVIEW
Oklahoma is 46th this year
It was 46th in 2010
- 46 Outcomes Rank
- 47 Determinants Rank
- 46 Overall Rank
- 43 Diabetes Rank
- 48 Smoking Rank
- 40 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- High per capita public health funding
- Low incidence of infectious disease
- Low prevalence of binge drinking
- High prevalence of smoking and obesity
- Limited access to early prenatal care
- Limited availability of primary care physicians
- In the past five years, diabetes increased from 8.9 percent to 10.4 percent of adults. Now 387,000 Oklahoma adults have diabetes.
- In the past ten years, obesity increased from 19.7 percent to 31.3 percent of adults, with 1.2 million obese adults in Oklahoma.
- In the past year, the percentage of children in poverty increased from 20.3 percent to 25.0 percent of persons under age 18.
- In the past year, the rate of preventable hospitalizations decreased from 88.7 to 81.8 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- Smoking is virtually unchanged in the past ten years at 23.7 percent of adults; 883,000 adults still smoke in Oklahoma.
- In Oklahoma, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic American Indians at 40.0 percent and non-Hispanic blacks at 41.3 percent than among non-Hispanic whites at 29.7 percent and Hispanics at 30.3 percent. Diabetes also varies by race and ethnicity in the state; 15.1 percent of non-Hispanic American Indians have diabetes compared to 9.4 percent of non-Hispanic whites.
State Health Department Web Site: www.ok.gov/health
|Physical Activity||45||70.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||46||61.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||36||74.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||50||57.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||50||14.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||44||34.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||46||5.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||45||5.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||45||40.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||26||8.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||46||12.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||34||35396||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||5||5.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||11||7.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||4||11.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||26||0.454||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||41||44463||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||45||20.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.