- STATE OVERVIEW
Oregon is 8th this year
It was 14th in 2010
- 15 Outcomes Rank
- 12 Determinants Rank
- 8 Overall Rank
- 9 Diabetes Rank
- 9 Smoking Rank
- 26 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- Low rate of preventable hospitalizations
- Lower prevalence of smoking than most other states
- Low levels of air pollution
- Low per capita public health funding
- High percentage of children in poverty
- High rate of uninsured population
- In the past five years, diabetes increased from 6.7 percent to 7.2 percent of adults. Now 278,000 Oregon adults have diabetes.
- In the past ten years, the rate of uninsured population increased from 12.7 percent to 16.8 percent.
- In the past year, obesity increased from 23.6 percent to 27.6 percent of adults, with 1.1 million obese adults in the state.
- In the past year, the rate of preventable hospitalizations decreased from 46.1 to 42.0 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- While smoking decreased from 20.7 percent to 15.1 percent of adults in the last ten years, 582,000 adults still smoke in Oregon.
- Diabetes varies by race and ethnicity in the state; 7.3 percent of non-Hispanic whites have diabetes compared to 6.6 percent of Hispanics. Hispanics and non-Hispanic whites have approximately the same prevalence of obesity at 25.4 percent and 25.3 percent, respectively.
State Health Department Web Site: http://public.health.oregon.gov/
|Physical Activity||1||82.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||20||37.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||40||73.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||23||70.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||9||26.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||13||27.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||8||3.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||7||3.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||7||35.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||2||6.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||7||9.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||32||36427||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||38||9.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||44||10.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||47||20||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||22||0.449||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||22||52198||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||29||15.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.