- STATE OVERVIEW
Pennsylvania is 26th this year
It was 28th in 2011
- 30 Outcomes Rank
- 25 Determinants Rank
- 26 Overall Rank
- 22 Diabetes Rank
- 32 Smoking Rank
- 31 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- High rate of high school graduation
- Low geographic disparity within the state
- Low rate of uninsured population
- Low per capita public health funding
- High levels of air pollution
- High rate of cancer deaths
- In the past ten years, the rate of uninsured population increased from 8.3 percent to 10.9 percent.
- In the past year, the incidence of infectious disease increased from 7.5 to 9.7 cases per 100,000 population.
- In the past year, the rate of preventable hospitalizations decreased from 72.0 to 69.6 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- More than 2.2 million adults, or 22.4 percent of the adult population, smoke in Pennsylvania.
- More than 2.8 million adults are obese in Pennsylvania; that is 28.6 percent of all adults.
- Five years ago, the per capita public health funding was $73 per person; this year it is $52.
- In Pennsylvania, smoking is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 27.3 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 18.6 percent and Hispanics at 16.1 percent; obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 38.9 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 28.0 percent; and sedentary lifestyle is more prevalent among Hispanics at 33.6 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 24.5 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: www.health.state.pa.us
|Cholesterol Check||16||77.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||20||72.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Physical Activity||25||73.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||12||27||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Obesity||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Smoking||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||45||5.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||21||37.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||32||4.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||31||31.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||19||11.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||18||42478||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||20||7.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||18||13.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||26||0.4611||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||23||16.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.