- STATE OVERVIEW
Rhode Island is 10th this year
It was 13th in 2011
- 18 Outcomes Rank
- 9 Determinants Rank
- 10 Overall Rank
- 11 Diabetes Rank
- 19 Smoking Rank
- 13 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- High immunization coverage
- Ready availability of primary care physicians
- Many poor mental & physical health days
- High prevalence of binge drinking
- High rate of preventable hospitalizations
- In the past ten years, the rate of uninsured population increased from 7.3 percent to 11.8 percent.
- In the past year, childhood poverty declined from 20.4 percent to 17.5 percent of persons under age 18. It was 10.7 percent ten years ago.
- Obesity remains below the national median at 25.4 percent of the adult population, with more than 210,000 obese adults in the state. A similar number of adults live a sedentary lifestyle.
- One in five adults smoke in Rhode Island; this is 166,000 adults.
- Five years ago, per capita public health funding was $90; this year it is $110.
- In Rhode Island, sedentary lifestyle is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 35.2 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 23.3 percent; obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 35.7 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 24.7 percent; and smoking is more prevalent among non-Hispanic whites at 15.4 percent than Hispanics at 11.6 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: www.health.state.ri.us
|Cholesterol Check||2||82.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||5||78.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Physical Activity||25||73.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||7||22.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Obesity||10||10.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Smoking||3||11.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||30||4.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||26||38.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||25||4.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||37||32.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||13||10.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||16||43992||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||48||11.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||47||18.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||32||0.4674||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||28||17.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.