- STATE OVERVIEW
Rhode Island is 13th this year
It was 10th in 2010
- 17 Outcomes Rank
- 9 Determinants Rank
- 13 Overall Rank
- 17 Diabetes Rank
- 15 Smoking Rank
- 18 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- High immunization coverage
- Low rate of uninsured population
- Ready availability of primary care physicians
- High percentage of children in poverty
- High prevalence of binge drinking
- High rate of preventable hospitalizations
- In the past ten years, obesity increased from 17.1 percent to 26.0 percent of adults, with 275,000 obese adults in the state.
- In the past year, diabetes increased from 7.0 percent to 7.8 percent of adults. Now 82,000 Rhode Island adults have diabetes.
- In the past year, the percentage of children in poverty decreased from 22.2 percent to 20.4 percent of persons under age 18.
- In the past year, the rate of preventable hospitalizations decreased from 74.1 to 70.0 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- While smoking decreased from 23.4 percent to 15.7 percent of adults in the last ten years, 166,000 adults still smoke in Rhode Island.
- In Rhode Island, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 35.6 percent and Hispanics at 30.9 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 23.3 percent. Diabetes also varies by race and ethnicity in the state; 10.9 percent of non-Hispanic blacks have diabetes compared to 7.3 percent of non-Hispanic whites and 7.6 percent Hispanics.
State Health Department Web Site: www.health.state.ri.us
|Physical Activity||28||75.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||9||28.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||2||83.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||5||78.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||12||26.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||32||30.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||20||4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||26||4.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||12||36.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||20||7.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||18||10.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||15||42095||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||45||10.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||47||11.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||45||19.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||39||0.467||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||18||53252||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||13||12.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.