- STATE OVERVIEW
South Carolina is 46th this year
It was 45th in 2011
- 42 Outcomes Rank
- 47 Determinants Rank
- 46 Overall Rank
- 49 Diabetes Rank
- 39 Smoking Rank
- 42 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- Low prevalence of binge drinking
- Moderate rate of preventable hospitalizations
- High percentage of children in poverty
- High prevalence of diabetes
- High prevalence of low birthweight
- Low high school graduation rate
- In the past five years, children in poverty increased from 15.6 percent to 26.3 percent of persons under age 18.
- In the past ten years, the rate of preventable hospitalizations decreased from 78.6 to 61.2 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- In the past year, high school graduation increased from 62.2 percent to 66.0 percent of incoming ninth graders who graduated within four years.
- South Carolina has one of the highest rates of diabetes at 12.1 percent of the adult population, with 435,000 adults with diabetes.
- South Carolina ranks below the median state on all measures except two; binge drinking and preventable hospitalizations.
- In South Carolina, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 39.9 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 27.8 percent; and sedentary lifestyle is more prevalent among Hispanics at 35.6 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 24.9 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: www.scdhec.net
|Cholesterol Check||17||77.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||43||63.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Physical Activity||39||72.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||40||42.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Obesity||31||13.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Smoking||31||19.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||31||4.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||44||41.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||33||4.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||44||36.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||47||14.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||46||33673||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||45||10.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||46||18.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||31||0.4648||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||38||19.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.