- STATE OVERVIEW
South Carolina is 45th this year
It was 41st in 2010
- 43 Outcomes Rank
- 44 Determinants Rank
- 45 Overall Rank
- 45 Diabetes Rank
- 39 Smoking Rank
- 47 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- High immunization coverage
- Low prevalence of binge drinking
- Low high school graduation rate
- High percentage of children in poverty
- High prevalence of diabetes
- High prevalence of obesity
- In the past ten years, diabetes increased from 7.1 percent to 10.7 percent of adults. Now 492,000 South Carolina adults have diabetes.
- In the past ten years, obesity increased from 22.0 percent to 32.0 percent of adults, with 1.5 million obese adults in the state.
- In the past year, the percentage of children in poverty increased from 17.6 percent to 25.7 percent of persons under age 18.
- In the past year, the rate of uninsured population increased from 16.4 percent to 18.7 percent.
- While smoking decreased from 24.9 percent to 21.0 percent of adults in the last ten years, 965,000 adults still smoke in South Carolina.
- In South Carolina, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 40.3 percent and Hispanics at 38.2 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 27.4 percent. Diabetes also varies by race and ethnicity in the state; 13.4 percent of non-Hispanic blacks have diabetes compared to 8.9 percent of non-Hispanic whites and 10.0 percent of Hispanics.
State Health Department Web Site: www.scdhec.net
|Physical Activity||42||72.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||40||53.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||16||79||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||43||63.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||45||17.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||42||32.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||34||4.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||34||4.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||50||41.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||47||9.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||38||12.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||46||32460||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||47||11.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||45||11.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||42||18.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||32||0.461||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||43||43014||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||38||17.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.