- STATE OVERVIEW
South Dakota is 27th this year
It was 19th in 2011
- 35 Outcomes Rank
- 22 Determinants Rank
- 27 Overall Rank
- 22 Diabetes Rank
- 36 Smoking Rank
- 28 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- Few poor mental & physical health days per month
- Low incidence of infectious disease
- Low levels of air pollution
- High geographic disparity within the state
- High prevalence of binge drinking
- Low immunization coverage
- In the past five years, immunization coverage dropped from 93.4 percent to 87.5 percent of children ages 19 to 35 months
- In the past ten years, the percentage of children in poverty rose significantly from 7.7 percent to 22.6 percent of persons under age 18.
- In the past year, the rate of infectious disease decreased from 8.3 to 5.9 cases per 100,000 population.
- More than 140,000 adults smoke in South Dakota, or 23.0 percent of the adult population.
- Occupational fatalities decreased from 9.4 to 5.9 deaths per 100,000 workers in the past five years.
- The rate of preventable hospitalizations decreased 16 percent from 76.1 to 63.7 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees, in the past five years.
- In South Dakota, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic Native Americans at 39.8 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 28.3 percent and Hispanics at 32.2 percent; and smoking is more prevalent among non-Hispanic Native Americans at 50.5 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 14.4 percent and Hispanics at 17.7 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: http://doh.sd.gov
|Cholesterol Check||37||72.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||14||73.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Physical Activity||34||73.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||29||34.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Obesity||5||9.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Smoking||42||23.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||31||4.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||15||36.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||38||5.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||26||31||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||21||11.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||21||41590||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||3||4.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||3||9.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||7||0.4324||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||10||14.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.