- STATE OVERVIEW
South Dakota is 19th this year
It was 20th in 2010
- 32 Outcomes Rank
- 18 Determinants Rank
- 19 Overall Rank
- 6 Diabetes Rank
- 12 Smoking Rank
- 27 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- Few poor mental and physical health days per month
- High rate of high school graduation
- Low prevalence of diabetes
- High geographic disparity within the state
- High occupational fatalities rate
- High prevalence of binge drinking
- In the past ten years, diabetes increased from 5.7 percent to 6.9 percent of adults. Now 57,000 South Dakota adults have diabetes.
- In the past ten years, obesity increased from 19.8 percent to 27.7 percent of adults, with 227,000 obese adults in the state.
- In the past year, the infant mortality rate increased from 6.7 to 7.4 deaths per 1,000 live births after three years of steady decline.
- In the past year, the percentage of children in poverty decreased from 18.4 percent to 15.5 percent of persons under age 18.
- While smoking decreased from 21.9 percent to 15.4 percent of adults in the last ten years, 126,000 adults still smoke in South Dakota.
- In South Dakota, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic American Indians at 39.4 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 28.1 percent and Hispanics at 29.2 percent. Diabetes also varies by race and ethnicity in the state; 12.4 percent of non-Hispanic American Indians have diabetes compared to 6.6 percent of non-Hispanic whites and 6.4 percent of Hispanics.
State Health Department Web Site: http://doh.sd.gov
|Physical Activity||29||75.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||23||40||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||42||73.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||14||73.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||49||15.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||30||29.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||30||4.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||34||4.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||12||36.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||5||6.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||21||10.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||22||39593||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||3||4.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||3||4.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||3||9.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||17||0.442||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||36||46783||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||5||11.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.