- STATE OVERVIEW
Tennessee is 41st this year
It was 42nd in 2010
- 42 Outcomes Rank
- 37 Determinants Rank
- 41 Overall Rank
- 46 Diabetes Rank
- 37 Smoking Rank
- 42 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- High immunization coverage
- Low prevalence of binge drinking
- Ready availability of primary care physicians
- High prevalence of diabetes
- High prevalence of obesity
- High violent crime rate
- In the past five years, diabetes increased from 9.1 percent to 11.3 percent of adults. Now 716,000 Tennessee adults have diabetes.
- In the past ten years, obesity increased from 22.9 percent to 31.7 percent of adults, with 2.0 million obese adults in the state.
- In the past ten years, the rate of uninsured population increased from 9.9 percent to 14.9 percent.
- In the past year, the violent crime rate decreased from 668 to 613 offenses per 100,000 population.
- While smoking decreased from 26.7 percent to 20.1 percent of adults in the last five years, 1.3 million adults still smoke in Tennessee.
- In Tennessee, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 40.9 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 30.5 percent and Hispanics at 30.3 percent. Diabetes also varies by race and ethnicity in the state; 12.2 percent of non-Hispanic blacks have diabetes compared to 10.5 percent of non-Hispanic whites and only 6.3 percent of Hispanics.
State Health Department Web Site: http://health.state.tn.us
|Physical Activity||45||70.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||43||55.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||10||81.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||39||66.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||25||23.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||42||32.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||40||5.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||40||4.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||1||32.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||41||9.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||37||12.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||37||34955||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||39||9.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||35||9.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||33||16.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||40||0.468||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||48||39809||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||44||19.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.