- STATE OVERVIEW
Tennessee is 39th this year
It was 41st in 2011
- 43 Outcomes Rank
- 35 Determinants Rank
- 39 Overall Rank
- 44 Diabetes Rank
- 36 Smoking Rank
- 35 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- Higher per capita public health funding than most states
- Low prevalence of binge drinking
- Moderate availability of primary care physicians
- High infant mortality rate & high prevalence of low birthweight
- High prevalence of sedentary lifestyle
- High violent crime rate
- While preventable hospitalizations remain a challenge for Tennessee, the rate dropped in the last five years from 97.8 to 83.4 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- In the past five years, the high school graduation rate increased from 66.1 percent to 77.4 percent of incoming ninth graders who graduate in four years.
- In the past ten years, the rate of uninsured population increased from 10.4 percent to 13.9 percent of the population.
- In the past year, the percentage of children in poverty decreased from 23.6 percent to 22.5 percent of persons under age 18.
- Last year, air pollution was 11.1 micrograms of fine particulate per cubic meter; this year it is 10.4, dropping 6 percent.
- In Tennessee, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 42.4 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 31.1 percent and Hispanics at 20.0 percent; sedentary lifestyle is more prevalent among Hispanics at 39.6 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 29.5 percent; and smoking is more prevalent among non-Hispanic whites at 21.7 percent than Hispanics at 16.4 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: http://health.state.tn.us
|Cholesterol Check||12||79||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||39||66.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Physical Activity||48||64.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||41||43.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Obesity||36||15.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Smoking||37||21.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||41||5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||30||38.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||38||5.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||48||38.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||40||12.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||36||36533||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||34||9.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||32||15.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||41||0.4756||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||44||21||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.