- STATE OVERVIEW
Texas is 42nd this year
It was 40th in 2010
- 28 Outcomes Rank
- 49 Determinants Rank
- 42 Overall Rank
- 34 Diabetes Rank
- 17 Smoking Rank
- 42 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- Low rate of cancer deaths
- Lower prevalence of smoking than other states
- Moderate infant mortality rate
- High incidence of infectious disease
- High rate of uninsured population
- Limited access to early prenatal care
- In the past five years, the percentage of children in poverty increased from 22.0 percent to 26.5 percent of persons under age 18.
- In the past ten years, diabetes increased from 6.2 percent to 9.7 percent of adults. Now 2.4 million Texas adults have diabetes.
- In the past ten years, obesity increased from 23.1 percent to 31.7 percent of adults, with 8.0 million obese adults in the state.
- In the past year, the incidence of infectious disease increased from 13.1 to 18.4 cases per 100,000 population.
- In the past year, the rate of preventable hospitalizations decreased from 78.7 to 72.8 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- While smoking decreased from 21.9 percent to 15.8 percent of adults in the last ten years, 4.0 million adults still smoke in Texas.
- In Texas, obesity is more prevalent among Hispanics at 36.0 percent and non-Hispanic blacks at 38.5 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 26.7 percent. Diabetes also varies by race and ethnicity in the state; 14.8 percent of non-Hispanic blacks and 10.6 percent of Hispanics have diabetes compared to 8.1 percent of non-Hispanic whites.
State Health Department Web Site: www.dshs.state.tx.us
|Physical Activity||39||73.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||48||63.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||46||71.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||45||61.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||22||23.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||27||29.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||27||4.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||29||4.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||46||40.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||32||8.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||45||12.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||27||37706||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||27||8.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||20||8.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||18||14.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||43||0.469||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||28||48757||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||37||17.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.