- STATE OVERVIEW
Utah is 5th this year
It was 7th in 2010
- 6 Outcomes Rank
- 6 Determinants Rank
- 5 Overall Rank
- 3 Diabetes Rank
- 1 Smoking Rank
- 2 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- Low rate of cancer deaths
- Low rate of preventable hospitalizations
- Lower prevalences of smoking, binge drinking and obesity than other states
- Limited availability of primary care physicians
- Low immunization coverage
- In the past five years, diabetes increased from 5.5 percent to 6.5 percent of adults. Now 184,000 Utah adults have diabetes.
- In the past ten years, obesity increased from 19.1 percent to 23.0 percent of adults, with 651,000 obese adults in the state.
- In the past year, the rate of preventable hospitalizations decreased from 39.9 to 36.7 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- While smoking decreased from 12.9 percent to 9.1 percent of adults in the last ten years, 258,000 adults still smoke in Utah.
- In Utah, smoking is more prevalent among Hispanics at 12.2 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 9.1 percent. Obesity is more prevalent among Hispanics at 27.4 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 23.0 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: www.health.utah.gov
|Physical Activity||2||82.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||18||35.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||50||67.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||12||74.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||25||23.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||3||23||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||2||2.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||3||2.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||2||33.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||10||6.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||20||10.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||45||32473||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||17||7.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||16||7.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||24||15.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||1||0.419||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||10||58489||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||9||11.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.