- STATE OVERVIEW
Virginia is 23rd this year
It was 22nd in 2010
- 26 Outcomes Rank
- 15 Determinants Rank
- 23 Overall Rank
- 25 Diabetes Rank
- 30 Smoking Rank
- 20 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- Low percentage of children in poverty
- Low violent crime rate
- Ready access to early prenatal care
- High levels of air pollution
- High prevalence of smoking
- Low immunization coverage
- In the past five years, diabetes increased from 6.9 percent to 8.7 percent of the population. Now 692,000 Virginia adults have diabetes.
- In the past ten years, obesity increased from 18.2 percent to 26.4 percent of adults, with 2.1 million obese adults in the state.
- In the past year, binge drinking increased from 13.6 percent to 15.3 percent of adults.
- In the past year, the percentage of children in poverty decreased from 14.8 percent to 12.3 percent of persons under age 18.
- While smoking decreased from 21.4 percent to 18.5 percent of adults in the last ten years, this is a much smaller reduction than other states and 1.5 million adults still smoke in Virginia.
- In Virginia, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 37.2 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 25.2 percent and Hispanics at 25.1 percent. Diabetes also varies by race and ethnicity in the state; 13.0 percent of non-Hispanic blacks have diabetes compared to 8.0 percent of non-Hispanic whites and only 3.7 percent of Hispanics.
State Health Department Web Site: www.vdh.state.va.us
|Physical Activity||22||76.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||15||33.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||12||80.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||4||78.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||7||27.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||16||27.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||10||3.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||23||4.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||16||36.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||29||8.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||13||10.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||7||44246||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||10||6.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||8||6.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||10||12.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||31||0.459||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||6||62271||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||20||14||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.