- STATE OVERVIEW
Vermont is 1st this year
It was 1st in 2010
- 5 Outcomes Rank
- 1 Determinants Rank
- 1 Overall Rank
- 5 Diabetes Rank
- 12 Smoking Rank
- 8 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- High rate of high school graduation
- High per capita public health funding
- Low prevalence of diabetes
- Ready access to early prenatal care
- Moderate immunization coverage
- High prevalence of binge drinking
- In the past five years, the percentage of children in poverty increased from 7.4 percent to 13.5 percent of persons under age 18.
- In the past ten years, diabetes increased from 4.4 percent to 6.8 percent of adults. Now 42,000 Vermont adults have diabetes.
- In the past ten years, obesity increased from 18.2 percent to 23.9 percent of adults, with 149,000 obese adults in the state.
- In the past year, the incidence of infectious disease decreased from 8.5 to 3.1 cases per 100,000 population.
- While smoking decreased from 21.5 percent to 15.4 percent of adults in the last ten years, 96,000 adults still smoke in Vermont.
- In Vermont, smoking is more prevalent among Hispanics at 19.4 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 16.0 percent, however obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic whites at 23.6 percent than Hispanics at 20.8 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: www.healthvermont.gov
|Physical Activity||2||82.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||3||21.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||21||77.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||9||75.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||1||29.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||12||27||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||10||3.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||12||3.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||10||35.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||13||7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||4||9.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||19||40098||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||7||5.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||6||6.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||9||12.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||19||0.444||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||12||57692||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||2||10.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.