- STATE OVERVIEW
Washington is 13th this year
It was 9th in 2011
- 13 Outcomes Rank
- 14 Determinants Rank
- 13 Overall Rank
- 17 Diabetes Rank
- 7 Smoking Rank
- 18 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- Low prevalence of low birthweight
- Low prevalence of smoking
- Low rate of preventable hospitalizations
- Moderate geographic disparity within the state
- Low high school graduation rate
- Low immunization coverage
- Almost 1.4 million adults are obese in Washington and nearly 1.2 million live a sedentary lifestyle.
- In the past ten years, the percentage of children in poverty increased from 10.5 percent to 18.9 percent of persons under age 18; it was 16.1 percent last year.
- In the past year, the rate of uninsured population increased from 13.2 percent to 14.2 percent.
- The rate of preventable hospitalizations declined from 51.9 to 46.4 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees in the past five years.
- Washington has one of the lowest smoking rates in the U.S. at 17.5 percent of the adult population; however, more than 900,000 adults still smoke.
- In Washington, smoking is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 20.7 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 14.9 percent and Hispanics at 11.7 percent; smoking is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 20.7 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 14.9 percent and Hispanics at 11.7 percent; and obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 35.7 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 26.4 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: www.doh.wa.gov
|Cholesterol Check||42||70.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||21||72.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Physical Activity||9||78||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||11||26.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Obesity||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Smoking||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||12||3.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||36||39.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||11||3.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||19||30||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||7||10.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||13||44294||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||35||9.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||43||17.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||16||0.4449||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||21||16.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.