- STATE OVERVIEW
Wisconsin is 16th this year
It was 12th in 2011
- 12 Outcomes Rank
- 16 Determinants Rank
- 16 Overall Rank
- 11 Diabetes Rank
- 22 Smoking Rank
- 24 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- High rate of high school graduation
- Low prevalence of diabetes
- Low rate of uninsured population
- High level of air pollution
- High prevalence of binge drinking
- Low per capita public health funding
- Although diabetes remains low at 8.4 percent of the adult population, there are almost 370,000 adults with diabetes in Wisconsin.
- In the past five years, the high school graduation rate rose from 85.8 percent to 90.7 percent of incoming ninth graders who graduate within four years.
- In the past ten years, the rate of preventable hospitalizations dropped 14 percent from 64.5 to 55.3 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- In the past year, the incidence of infectious disease increased from 4.8 to 8.0 cases per 100,000 population.
- In the past year, the percentage of children in poverty increased from 12.7 percent to 21.4 of persons under age 18.
- In Wisconsin, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 49.4 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 27.2 percent and Hispanics at 19.3 percent; smoking is more prevalent among Hispanics at 29.6 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 17.9 percent; and sedentary lifestyle is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 35.1 percent than Hispanics at 26.0 percent and non-Hispanic whites at 21.6 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: www.dhs.wisconsin.gov
|Cholesterol Check||24||75.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||11||75.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Physical Activity||12||77.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||10||26.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Obesity||9||10.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Smoking||13||14.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||20||4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||14||36.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||17||4.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||10||28.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||15||10.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||25||40073||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||20||7.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||21||14.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||11||0.437||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||10||14.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.