- STATE OVERVIEW
Wisconsin is 12th this year
It was 18th in 2010
- 14 Outcomes Rank
- 14 Determinants Rank
- 12 Overall Rank
- 8 Diabetes Rank
- 34 Smoking Rank
- 21 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- High rate of high school graduation
- Low percentage of children in poverty
- Low rate of uninsured population
- Low incidence of infectious disease
- Low per capita public health funding
- High prevalence of binge drinking
- While smoking decreased from 24.1 percent to 19.1 percent of adults in the last ten years, 1.1 million adults still smoke in Wisconsin.
- In the past ten years, obesity increased from 20.0 percent to 26.9 percent of adults, with 1.5 million obese adults in the state.
- In the past year, diabetes decreased from 8.2 percent to 7.1 percent of the population; 402,000 Wisconsin adults have diabetes.
- In the past year, the percentage of children in poverty decreased from 15.5 percent to 12.7 percent of persons under age 18.
- In Wisconsin, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 45.8 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 26.5 percent and Hispanics at 21.1 percent. Diabetes also varies by race and ethnicity in the state; 12.4 percent of non-Hispanic blacks have diabetes compared to 7.4 percent of non-Hispanic whites.
State Health Department Web Site: www.dhs.wisconsin.gov
|Physical Activity||19||77.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||11||31.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||26||76.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||11||75.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||30||22.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||18||27.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||10||3.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||15||3.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||10||35.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||14||7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||12||10.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||25||38177||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||21||7.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||21||8.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||21||14.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||6||0.43||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||23||51939||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||18||13.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.