- STATE OVERVIEW
West Virginia is 43rd this year
It was 43rd in 2010
- 47 Outcomes Rank
- 34 Determinants Rank
- 43 Overall Rank
- 48 Diabetes Rank
- 50 Smoking Rank
- 48 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- High per capita public health funding
- Low incidence of infectious disease
- Low prevalence of binge drinking
- Many poor mental and physical health days per month
- High prevalences of smoking, obesity and diabetes
- High rate of preventable hospitalizations
- In the past ten years, diabetes increased from 7.6 percent to 11.7 percent of the population. Now 214,000 West Virginia adults have diabetes.
- In the past ten years, obesity increased from 23.2 percent to 32.9 percent of adults, with 601,000 obese adults in the state.
- In the past year, the rate of preventable hospitalizations decreased from 105.4 to 100.7 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- Unlike other states, smoking has not declined in the last ten years; 489,000 adults still smoke in West Virginia.
- In West Virginia, smoking is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 27.0 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 26.3 percent and Hispanics at 25.0 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: www.wvdhhr.org
|Physical Activity||49||67.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||35||48.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||13||80.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||48||60.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||48||16.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||50||37.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||49||6.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||49||6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||29||38.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||45||9.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||47||13.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||48||31999||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||23||8.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||28||9.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||14||14||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||23||0.451||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||42||44126||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||49||23.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.