- STATE OVERVIEW
West Virginia is 47th this year
It was 43rd in 2011
- 48 Outcomes Rank
- 46 Determinants Rank
- 47 Overall Rank
- 48 Diabetes Rank
- 49 Smoking Rank
- 48 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- High per capita public health funding
- Low incidence of infectious disease
- Low prevalence of binge drinking
- High prevalence of sedentary lifestyle, obesity & diabetes
- High prevalence of smoking
- High rate of preventable hospitalizations
- In the past five years, air pollution decreased 19 percent from 13.8 to 11.2 micrograms of fine particulate per cubic meter.
- In the past year, the percentage of children in poverty increased from 20.3 percent to 24.5 percent of persons under age 18.
- Last year, the immunization coverage was 91.0 percent of children ages 19 to 35 months; today it is 85.5 percent.
- West Virginia has the second highest rate of smoking at 28.6 percent of the adult population, with 421,000 adults who smoke in the state.
- Although the rate of preventable hospitalizations remains high, it dropped over the past ten years, from 121.0 to 99.1 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- In West Virginia, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 42.0 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 32.1 percent and Hispanics at 28.3 percent; and sedentary lifestyle is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 43.2 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 32.9 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: www.wvdhhr.org
|Cholesterol Check||7||80.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||48||60.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Physical Activity||48||64.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||43||44.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Obesity||32||14.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Smoking||31||19.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||50||6.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||40||40.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||49||6.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||45||37||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||30||12.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||48||33513||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||25||8.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||17||13.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||38||0.4721||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||50||25.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.