- STATE OVERVIEW
Alaska is 28th this year
It was 29th in 2011
- 34 Outcomes Rank
- 23 Determinants Rank
- 28 Overall Rank
- 5 Diabetes Rank
- 34 Smoking Rank
- 23 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- Low levels of air pollution
- Low prevalence of low birthweight
- Low prevalence of sedentary lifestyle
- High prevalence of binge drinking
- High violent crime rate
- Low high school graduation rate
- Almost 150,000 adults in Alaska are obese and more than 40,000 adults in the state have diabetes.
- In the past five years, the rate of preventable hospitalizations decreased from 58.2 to 54.5 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- In the past ten years, the rate of cardiovascular deaths decreased from 284.7 to 219.3 deaths per 100,000 population.
- High school graduation rates improved in the last five years from 67.2 percent to 72.6 percent of incoming ninth graders who graduate within four years.
- More than 120,000 adults smoke in Alaska.
- The number of occupational fatalities decreased from 12.5 to 8.1 deaths per 100,000 workers in the past five years.
- In Alaska, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic Native Americans at 30.8 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 23.7 percent; and smoking is more prevalent among non-Hispanic Native Americans at 37.9 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 17.5 percent and Hispanics at 26.1 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: http://health.hss.state.ak.us
|Cholesterol Check||49||67.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||29||69.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Physical Activity||9||78||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||33||38.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Obesity||17||11.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Smoking||9||14.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||2||2.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||3||34.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||3||3.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||14||29.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||3||9.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||10||45529||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||19||7.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||16||13.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||2||0.4099||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||19||15.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.