- STATE OVERVIEW
Oklahoma is 43rd this year
It was 46th in 2011
- 44 Outcomes Rank
- 42 Determinants Rank
- 43 Overall Rank
- 43 Diabetes Rank
- 47 Smoking Rank
- 45 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- Low incidence of infectious disease
- Low prevalence of binge drinking
- Limited availability of primary care physicians
- High prevalence of sedentary lifestyle, obesity, & diabetes
- High prevalence of smoking
- High rate of cardiovascular deaths
- In the past five years, the rate of preventable hospitalizations decreased from 95.9 to 81.0 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees; however, it still ranks very high among all states.
- In the past ten years, low birthweight infants increased from 7.4 percent to 8.4 percent of live births.
- In the past ten years, the infant mortality rate decreased from 8.5 to 7.5 deaths per 1,000 live births.
- In the past year, the per capita public health funding declined from $113 to $95 per person.
- Last year, 25.0 percent of persons under age 18 lived in poverty; this year it is 20.7 percent.
- Smoking remains high at 26.1 percent of adults; 745,000 adults still smoke in Oklahoma.
- In Oklahoma, smoking is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 31.9 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 23.3 percent and Hispanics at 20.7 percent; and obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 42.9 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 29.9 percent and Hispanics at 29.7 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: www.ok.gov/health
|Cholesterol Check||45||69.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||50||57.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Physical Activity||45||68.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||46||50.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Obesity||42||16.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Smoking||40||22.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||39||4.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||46||41.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||41||5.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||42||35.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||46||13.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||34||37277||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||8||6.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||5||10.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||29||0.4613||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||41||20.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.