- STATE OVERVIEW
Vermont is 1st this year
It was 1st in 2011
- 5 Outcomes Rank
- 1 Determinants Rank
- 1 Overall Rank
- 4 Diabetes Rank
- 11 Smoking Rank
- 13 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- Low incidence of infectious disease
- Low prevalence of low birthweight
- Low rate of uninsured population
- High rate of high school graduation
- Higher rate of cancer deaths than most other states
- Moderate prevalence of binge drinking
- The prevalence of low birthweight decreased 12 percent in the past year, from 7.0 percent to 6.1 percent of live births.
- The rate of preventable hospitalizations declined in the past ten years, from 66.9 to 50.6 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- Vermont has one of the lowest rates of sedentary lifestyle in the U.S.; however, 105,000 adults lead a sedentary lifestyle.
- In the past five years, the per capita public health funding increased 55 percent from $96 to $149 per person.
- In the past year, the infant mortality rate increased 12 percent from 4.8 to 5.4 deaths per 1,000 live births.
- In the past year, the percentage of children in poverty increased from 13.5 percent to 16.4 percent of persons under age 18.
- In Vermont, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic whites at 23.6 percent than Hispanics at 19.0 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: www.healthvermont.gov
|Cholesterol Check||18||77.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||9||75.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Physical Activity||5||79||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||3||17.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Obesity||6||9.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Smoking||6||13.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||20||4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||11||36||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||25||4.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||13||29.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||1||8.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||19||41832||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||5||5.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||8||11.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||5||0.4308||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||2||12.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.